Other dolls

Fairy Tale High Teen Dolls

August 20, 2013

I have just stumbled upon these dolls on the TimeToPlayMag.com and I was a little bit suprised. I know a lot of companies copied the Monster High dolls and it looks like Ever After High has now it’s own clones. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to offend anyone and I think these dolls are cute, but please, please create original dolls! Not copies…

fairy tale high logo

From their official Facebook page:

This collection of beautifully designed 11.5-inch fashion dolls includes teenage versions of Snow White, Rapunzel, Belle, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, Alice in Wonderland, Tinker Bell, and Cinderella, each sporting today’s trendiest clothes, hairstyles and designer shoes.

I quite like Cinderella and the Little Mermaid and thank God for articulation! The dolls do remind me a bit of the Winx dolls and that’s in a good way. You can order them from Amazon and Toys’R Us for $17.99 and $19.99 each.

Here’s a video review of the Cinderella doll:

And here’s an official commercial:

One more thing… Is it just me or do these dolls look way, way to skinny? :S

Anyway, I think I might get one if they will be available in my country. You can find more about these dolls by visiting their official website and YouTube chanel. These dolls are made by S-K Victory.

• Reply Heather August 20, 2013 at 3:13 pm

It’s like there are companies out there simply waiting to see what Mattel does next. I guess that’s one way to turn a profit?

• Reply Simon August 20, 2013 at 5:56 pm

How fascinating that companies still dare to copy Mattel after all the litigation that has been dished out in the past ti anyone who dared to copy them.

And you’re right: some originality please!

• Reply Ada August 20, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Barbie has been copied from the start and I think that will never end when it comes to Mattel dolls. All eyes are on them and everything they do must be copied over and over again.

• Reply jassi August 21, 2013 at 9:38 am

Mattel has copied other companies just as often as other companies have copied Mattel. It’s part of the business.

Competition is good. There will be kids who prefer these dolls to Mattel’s. It’s good for people to be other options.

• Reply Ada August 21, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Competition is one thing, taking an idea someone else came up with and making something very similar, is another thing. I’m sure there are other undiscovered ideas in the Universe that can be used by a lot of companies in order to create an original doll. Unfortunately things go something like this: “Company X has this doll that is successful. Look at their dolls and make something similar so we can also make money.” These dolls are really cute and, as I have mentioned in my article, I do want to buy one, but they are clones. I’m sorry, but they are. So are the Mystic Girlz from Simba but I still like them and have them in my collection. But they are clones.

• Reply jassie August 22, 2013 at 8:25 am

it’s very expensive to create a toy from scratch, especially if you’re a small company. small companies can’t afford to gamble on totally “original” ideas, because they will almost always fail. they have to make something they know they can get retailers to carry, otherwise they’ll go into debt. sometimes, they have to start with a “clone” of something else to build their brand and connections and earn money so they can move on to other things.

btw, Mattel is one of the worst copy-cats of all time. My Scene = Bratz. Jazzie = Maxie. Barbie and the Rockers = Jem (they stole preliminary Jem artwork from Hasbro’s dumpsters and used it to design the dolls). Barbie began as an illegal clone of Lilli, but then Mattel tricked the man who created her into giving them the rights.

mattel has moles throughout the industry. if they think someone is going to “scoop” them, they can get copies out to stores months before the people who originally came up with the idea. they’ve done it before and have put smaller companies out of business. it’s actually possible mattel “stole” this idea from s-k victory, not the other way around.

(i’m not trying to be negative, just giving another perspective on this)

• Reply Ada August 22, 2013 at 9:06 am

You are not being negative and I do value your opinion. I don’t want everybody to have the same opinion as me. :P Yes, Mattel was inspired by other dolls esp Lilli, but, the majority of the time, they are the ones being copied. I’m not 100% sure about the Jem story as I’ve heard different versions of this but I am pretty sure the whole zombie/monster dolls idea was theirs from the start. Having a small company does not mean, in my opinion, you have to ignore the option of trying at least to create a new kind of fashion doll. Yes, you can come up with some dolls that are following the current trend but you have to take into consideration the fact that collectors will always say you are just copying.

There’s a huge demand of original dolls so people should consider taking a risk. But maybe that’s just me. I like taking risks and I know the doll community pretty well so I’m talking from the point of view of a doll collector that is “starving” for new doll ideas.

• Reply Eduardo September 9, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Oh, I like so much clones! I think clones is much more interesting than the original dolls. I think the clones make chance in a clone dolls collector. I loved! I love Monter Hight face mold but her paint are horrible, so when there are clones, I have chance to buy a cute doll with a face molde I like. Sorry my english.

• Reply Ashlyen January 11, 2014 at 6:33 pm

I actually do like these dolls but I hate that again they are just copying Mattel! I’d much rather buy/play with the original Ever After High Dolls, instead of the generic(false dolls) that have so obviously copied Ever After High. I do however like that we are seeing some new characters, such as Ariel(Little Mermaid), Belle, Tinker Bell, Rapunzel and Alice in wonderland.
    I think these dolls are fine if you prefer them to others.
    I do however like the idea that these are the actual characters and not the children, because I grew up watching Disney’s Cinderella,Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. However, being a teenager myself, Ever After High is VERY useful, because It has relationships such as –
    Raven & Dexter
    Ashlynn * Hunter
    Apple * Daring (?)
    So therefore I think that both ideas are equally cool

Ashlyen
    p.s my name actually is Ashlyen as you can see I haven’t spelt it Ashlynn.