Barbie Fashionistas

The new Barbie era

November 4, 2014

I know many of you know by now that Mattel‘s sales are sinking, they lost the Disney license, the guy running Matty Collector left and they lost the no.1 spot as the leading toy company in the world. Overall things are not looking well. That’s why Mattel has started changing things, but are these changes ok or enough?

The first step was to revamp the playline dolls, give Barbie a new face and new friends while also making the clothes more realistic. As I have already shown you, the new line of Barbie friends is pretty cool. Yesterday BarbieCollector.com has been updated with the new line of Barbie Fashionistas dolls but even if this looks like a good thing (giving collectors a change to shop also some playline dolls) is it a good thing?

Barbie Fashionistas 2015

This is not the first time playline dolls have been put up for sale on BarbieCollector.com, but this habit is turning out to be strange, for me at least. Yes, we, the mature collectors, do like to buy playline dolls also, but, then again, I don’t think this the thing that’s missing on BC.com. IMO Mattel should really focus on getting closer to it’s collectors and not driving them away. Good for them that they listened when the collectors asked for articulation or realistic fashions, but there is so much more to be done and mixing playline and collector items on BarbieColelctor.com is not the solution. I don’t even know how to express what I’m feeling… For me that site is unique, it’s the place where all the elite Barbie dolls are featured. At least that’s how it should be. I don’t want to see a Platinum Label doll next to a playline Fashionista now matter how cute the latter one is. I want a place where ALL the collectors can get real sneaks, where you don’t have to be afraid to see an image and be glad about it because Mattel might come and slap you in the face with a legal document, where you can see images of ALL the dolls that Mattel has created in the past, dolls that have now become collector items, a place where international collectors can order dolls without the help of a shipping buddy. New playline dolls are the least of my concerns right now. Right now, for me, BarbieCollector.com is a cold place with lots of random stuff, a board where I have found my name and my blog trashed several times, a shop where I can’t shop, overall just a bad experience. If you are still reading this blog, Mattel, then listen to this fan of yours whom you have almost discouraged from buying and promoting your stuff but who still thinks about Barbie in a very loving way. This is the era on the Internet, of sharing and caring. Start caring more and more and more! Become closer to your fans and collectors. Interact with us and support your loyal bloggers. We don’t want playline dolls on collector site that much. We just want to you come out of your crystal palace and mingle with us. Do you think you can do that? You said you want to change Barbie for the best. Now it’s your chance to change your attitude also.

Signed,
A doll blogger that still loves Barbie despite all the heartache you have put me through. For now…

• Reply Janessa D November 4, 2014 at 2:05 pm

I’ve had it with people complaining about playline dolls being available in the Barbie Collector shop. I’m very glad to be able to use my rewards on playline dolls I actually want when there are no collector dolls that interest me.

I don’t understand why this is an issue for people. If you don’t want to see playline dolls mixed in with collector dolls, click on the links for the non-playline lines you want to see and you won’t.

And people need to stop complaining about Mattel telling them to take down pictures that were not supposed to have been released. They have the right to do that. People who post these kinds of pictures are doing a disservice to Mattel. If they were all as “supportive” of Mattel as they say they are, they wouldn’t be mad that Mattel expects them to abide by Mattel’s terms & conditions.

• Reply Ada November 4, 2014 at 3:15 pm

You also have the option of not reading this blog. Corect? :) And I was not talking about pictures so please keep your oppinions to yourself if you have no clue about what is going on. Thank you!

• Reply Christian November 4, 2014 at 7:03 pm

First of all, i have been a fan of barbie for awhile but, as I’ve mentioned before on other threads ,have become very disillusioned with the direction mattel has been taking her. Their displays at Toy Fair gave become rushed, boring and uninspired . Re posting pics – why not ? I personally get excited when I see a pic of a doll that will be released in the future rather than reading a description . I really miss the fall/ winter spring / summer previews that the sure used to release. It would get me all pumped up for the new collectionax I’m sure it did for others, so why would they scrap it? I don’t know why Mattel has an issue with what is virtually free advertising esp if they are having economic problems . Mattel
    Should use blogs like this as a tool to gauge collector reactions and make changes accordingly – at least they would if they were smart. Maybe Mattel has become too settled in their top spot and chooses to stay with the old way of doing things . Too bad, because they could be more effective if they used technology to their advantage. Re: play line – I personally don’t collect them but why not have a link from the collector site to a play line site? But I would like to keep them separate as well. It’s bad enough that Mattel keeps releasing these boring collector dolls with rising prices and lower standards/ quality . I have a feeling that the reason they are doing that is to make up for the lack of collector dolls being released . Like how a store will make a display of items when the shelves begin to look sparse. Urs a way of distracting customers into thinking they have more choices and more products when in fact, the selection us diminishing . I hope this isn’t the case but it sure looks like it .

• Reply K November 5, 2014 at 4:59 am

Well, this line seems to have been clearly designed with playline collectors in mind. It being on the collector site means Mattel now might have serious plans for that doll tier, which is phenomenal news! Really cool and diverse playline dolls available in every supermarket is how they got the teenage me into blowing a ton of money on their products 10 years ago. Getting younger people into dolls by luring them in with fresh faces and low prices is a viable strategy and we shouldn’t be elitist and complain about this effort because of some loss of decorum.

So yeah – I think this is Mattel acknowledging these dolls as collector items, not just kiddie fodder, and letting us know our needs are now being considered in the designing process. Of course they’re still not perfect, especially if you compare with Monster High, but I think we need to see a boost in sales first – so far it looks like they at least have made the clothes full print, and if they also improved quality control on the screenings I’ll be rather pleased with this line.

Not being able to ship outside of America is bullshit, I will fully agree on that part.

• Reply Mattel Fangirl November 5, 2014 at 7:39 am

Please! You should thank Mattel for making your blog popular. You gain a lot of traffic just by writing about their products. I dare you to delete all you Barbie entries and see how much traffic you get.

Your blog is nothing without Mattel.

• Reply Ada November 5, 2014 at 10:01 am

Dear, Mattel Fangirl, first please have the balls to comment with your own name and then I’ll give you a proper answer. Until then YOU are nothing. :)

K, yes, you could be right. But if they designed them with playline collectors in mind they should have made them better and given them articulation. Don’t get me wrong, I’m thrilled they have stopped with the all pink and glittery fashions, but I think they still have a lot of issues they should adress.

• Reply Jess November 5, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I don’t really mind the mixing of playline / collector (and especially like the vintage section they added with old playline stuff), but it is a pretty depressing site if you’re not in the US imo. Especially the US sale price – when you know you’ll be paying two or three times that, if you can get hold of it in the first place…

• Reply Christian November 5, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Wow what’s with all the negative comments about this site? First of all, this blog isn’t anti Mattel. Take a look around the site and actually read some of the articles- it’s fairly obvious . Secondly, that’s why there are blogs in existence so that people- in this case , collectors, can have their say. A little criticism ( put very honestly and in a constructive manner by this sites blogger, may I add), can only help Mattel and, as I mentioned before , would if used appropriately. I actually think that Mattel should thank and encourage blogs like this and use them to access the collectors mind and maybe pick up a few ideas. I think this blog is awesome and appreciate the honesty and perspective . Keep up the good work ;)

• Reply Rocky November 6, 2014 at 4:55 am

I think mattel
    Should listen more to its costumers. The reason why Barbie sales have drop is because the playline looks cheap boring molded on clothes and large heads are a big no the style dolls are nice a big improvement but wish there heads were smaller. Also i am tired of the model muse body so stiff why can t ther use the pivotal body more on collectors dolls intrigity dolls are all fully articulated.

• Reply Pink Flamingo November 6, 2014 at 8:19 pm

I applaud your words on Mattel to become more open to their customers and, more important, their fans. I’m so dissapointed that I can’t buy my favorite Barbie in my country in Europe – I see the new releases and I know that they’re not available although it’s pink label only… I see them on Mattel site and still can’t order directly to Europe, that’s such a shame. I would be so glad and thankful to Mattel if they let the European orders to happen.
    I’m a fan of your blog, keep doing the great job! :)