Barbie Barbie Collector

Ava DuVernay Barbie doll 2015

December 6, 2015

The Ava DuVernay Barbie doll will be released tomorrow on TheBarbieCollection.com according to the Barbie Instagram account. Earlier this year we got to see an OOAK version of this doll and the production doll is not very different.

Production doll

Ava DuVernay Barbie doll

OOAK doll

ava-duvernay-barbie-sheroe-doll

All they did is change her head and make it more…glam. Why? I have no idea. I thought she was supposed to embody a real woman that inspires other women and girls? So why make her glam? Glam is good, but I think they should have made her resemble more Ava’s quiet and elegant chic.

So, will you be getting her?

• Reply Marco December 6, 2015 at 9:51 pm

Maybe because is a doll a commercial product? To my eyes the final product doesn’t look more glam, it is just a compromise between a handmade object and industrial technologies.

• Reply Champagne Star December 7, 2015 at 4:10 am

I like that this doll has braids, but she’s not Wowing me. I’m glad to see she is articulated, but I’m curious if she used the Barbie Style body since she had articulated ankles, but not the new hands of the Made to Move bodies.

• Reply Tracy December 7, 2015 at 6:34 am

If it’s the Style body…please do not have the same weak knees. That drops the price for me from $80 to $24.99

• Reply Christian December 7, 2015 at 7:42 am

I have to agree about the ‘wow’ factor – in my opinion , it’s just not there . I understand that they are portraying an actual person but there isn’t much to this doll- her clothes are basic -I don’t know how much she is going to sell for but I doubt it will be Under $20. I know this may not be a popular point of view- and there be some who won’t like what I’m about to say, but this doll makes me a little annoyed. Have they really resorted to making portrait dolls of obscure people? Are they out of ideas? This doll is remiscient of the playline Barbie film maker doll that came out, though not as detailed I might add. If they wanted to make dolls of empowering figures – why not someone like Michelle Obama, Gwen Stefani, Jackie Kennedy, Coco Chanel, or maybe some historical women like Maria Theresa, Catherine the Great, Eleanor of Acquitaine ?
    I just think that Barbie has lost her direction- there doesn’t seem to be any order to the type of dolls the are producing . It’s like they are stabbing in the dark to get any idea that may or may not work. Let’s face it- you make anyone into a doll but would people really be interested in buying a doll after just anyone ? This is where you actually listen to your market – collectors and blogs like this where people express their true opinions and see what the people want. I don’t think theyre doing that. I think they are sitting around the table telling each other how brilliant they are and how great their ideas are – total lip service. What they They need is honesty- someone to tell them that although it may sound good, it may not be the best idea and not be very profitable. I may be alone on this but what happened to the time when Barbie was fun and expressive- when she was an Egyptian Queen or a Forest Fairy. When she lived in a fantastical world of endless possibilities and identities? Now, she seems to be caught up in too much reality that are completely yawn worthy. There needs to be a different direction. The current one seems to be going absolutely nowhere?

• Reply Ada December 7, 2015 at 6:29 pm

You are so right, Christian!

• Reply Darlene D. Troy December 7, 2015 at 9:40 am

Christian, you definitely aren’t the only person who feels that way. :-)

• Reply Liga P. December 7, 2015 at 2:31 pm

I just can’t imagine seeing this doll in my own collection. Sorry, but I’m not happy about her at all… Even her outfit is such a boring and reminds me the barbie denim basics doll’s.

• Reply Brenova Jackson December 7, 2015 at 3:50 pm

I agree. She has a natural beauty without the hype. What would they do with someone like, oh say, Whoppi Goldberg? IJS

• Reply KimLechelle December 7, 2015 at 10:46 pm

I think this doll is beautiful. I am happy to have her in my collect for my future grandkids.
    Thank you for the post! I would missed out on the purchase.

• Reply Christian December 10, 2015 at 12:38 am

I can see how this doll can be empowering but it’s a bit ironic that this is the same company people constantly slam because the dolls are creating unrealistic proportions. I guess I’m questioning the purpose behind making dolls like this – I get the inspiration part but I just think that Mattel is so busy trying to make Barbie relevant, when they could be doing that via better designs and quality control . I know I’ve ordered dolls and when I’ve taken them out, I am shocked at how cheaply they are made for the price charged . Of course not all , but the quality has diminished over the years. They need to go to the forums , blogs , and other collector arenas and listen to what people are saying . We want better made dolls and better themes – I shudder to see what may end up on the Barbie Collection site next year- Mary Shelley Barbie or Nancy Pelosi Barbie?? I don’t know about everyone else, but i like to display dolls like I would a piece of art – for enjoyment and for the visual beauty they inspire . If u wanted something more cerebral or transcendental , I would refer to other sources like books, etcetera . Barbie doesn’t and shouldn’t be so serious – if this is where she’s headed, then get ready for the end. Because there is no way that she’s going to compete against other doll lines that aren’t so literal . Just saying . Thanks guys- luv this blog ?

• Reply ritz December 10, 2015 at 1:40 am

Can’t believe she’s sold out already!

• Reply Ms.George December 20, 2015 at 10:50 am

She’s a nice Barbie doll, but I know what exactly makes her platinum worthy. She would have done nicely as pink label similar to fan bing bing, seeing that most hollywood/pop culture Barbie dolls are pink label