Barbie

Barbie and MAC collaborate again

June 15, 2016

Yesterday MAC Cosmetics has posted a photo on Instagram depicting a model surrounded by several Barbie dolls. This not the first time MAC has teamed up with Barbie, but this time Barbie does not have her own makeup line. She is the image of the new Fashion Pack Collection.

fashion_pack_collection_landing_1600x830

For those who don’t follow trends, but make and break them…we salute you. Let’s lead the way with the next wave of front row-worthy hues. Fuchsia, violet, emerald, deepest plum, midnight: Capture the charisma of couture’s most sumptuous fantasies, then create our own. Regal nails and jewel-tipped lips bring a lavish finishing touch. Ready to wear…any way you dare! So be a doll, show us how — the fashion pack is always in the know.

The collection is made up of eyeshadows, lipsticks, pigments and eye liners in vibrant and fresh colors. Unfortunatelly the so called “human Barbie doll” Valeryevna Lukyanova and the “human Ken doll” Justin Jedlica are featured and interviewd on the collection’s mini website as they talk about growing up with dolls and the changes they made to their body so that they would look like those dolls. I’m sorry but I don’t understand why would Mattel/MAC chose to associate with them as they represent everything Barbie fans and collectors are not. Just for marketing’s sake? I guess so. Sad, in my oppinion. Just sad. I also grew up with dolls but I never wanted to look like one.

This is one collection I’m not going to buy. I’m all about makeup, beating up your face and even plastic surgery, but what those two are doing is an extreme I consider very unhealthy and I would never endorse something that promotes that images. Sorry.

• Reply PanicPixie June 15, 2016 at 10:34 am

Well said!

• Reply Warren June 15, 2016 at 12:34 pm

“I’m all about makeup, beating up your face and even plastic surgery, but what those two are doing is an extreme I consider very unhealthy”
    I’m tottally with you on that, but I just want you to know Valeria isn’t that extreme she’s probably had 2 surgeries done. Her look is mostly achieved by makeup, vegan diet, contacts, working out & photoshop haha. She’s a really sweet person probably too weird a quirky for society to handle. She’s also an incredibly talented musician.

her without makeup:

As for Justin. He is extreme and has an unhealthy obsession. He didn’t like valeria because “She uses too much too much makeup to achieve her look”. over surgeries, Which is messed up.

Anyways i’m really happy if Mattel work with Valeria because she’s a beautiful person. I’m a huge fan I know like all her music. I even bought her latest album lol. But as for Justin…. eh i’ll give him creativity points for custom designing his own implants lol.

Anyways love you Ada x
    Warren

• Reply Darlene D. Troy June 15, 2016 at 4:41 pm

This has nothing whatsoever to do with Mattel, and Mattel will not be happy when they see that MAC has used some of their dolls for this (although the blond one in front appears to be a knockoff).

• Reply Tray June 15, 2016 at 5:25 pm

I hope Mattel isn’t down with this. That “human Barbie…” Isn’t that the same one who said bi-racial people are unattractive? Not acceptable…. that actually puts me OFF …. MAC.

• Reply Bluebelle June 22, 2016 at 11:15 am

Yes, she said that “race-mixing” causes “degeneration”. I thought MAC’s creed was all races, all ages, all sexes. Disappointing that they would choose to spotlight someone who doesn’t share that belief.

• Reply Elle June 16, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Whatever makes people happy. They are not hurting anyone. And I’m sorry I dont agree that simply by looking a certain way, they set a bad example. People have to make their own decisions. Saying she sets a bad example implies she somehow influences people in a sinister way, and that is not true. She is who she is. This is what makes her happy. If others copy her, then that is not her fault but the choice of such people.

We need to strive to be less judgmental when it comes to peoples’ personal choices as pertaining to their bodies and faces. If being fat or plastic surgery works for some people and makes them happy, so be it. We are all different. No one is forcing anyone to spend 270k on plastic surgery. Just as I did not grow up thinking I must look like Barbie, it is pretty presumptuous to assume that women look at the MAC ad and then want to look like that. And even if they did, it is their choice. Live and let live.

• Reply Ada June 17, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Oh, c’mon! Those two and MAC earn money because they sell AN IMAGE! Of course people will make their own decisions but to think people are not influenced by what they see other do is naive. I’m not going to shut up and be told to “not judge” something that is very much public. This “let’s not judge anyone and never say anything negative” has gone too far. MAC is a public company that sells something to the public? Good. Than I can have my opinion about their products. That girl and that boy expose themselves and talk about their choices in public? Then I can say they are wrong and that I don’t think that every idea that is thrown out there must be celebrated just because nowadays it’s not “cool” to say anything negative. As far as I know I have never bullied anyone, I never said they are ugly as f or other stuff like that. I don’t like the image they are SELLING and I have a right to say that. My parents and grandparents have not fought in the 89 overthrown of the Communistregim so I can be told not to have an honest, legit opinion about a public affair. And being influenced by a plastic fantasy toy is a WHOLE other thing as being influenced by a living being.

• Reply Elle June 22, 2016 at 8:10 am

Oh you can say whatever judgmental stuff you want to say about whomever or whatever, But then also be prepared to be called out on it and told to mind your own business. Clearly you did not hear me or even as much as understand a single word I said and seem to be making this about your communist past or whatever, which is your problem.

What i said was: what’s it to you what kind of an image MAC sells and who are you to police other peoples’ personal choices? You dont like to look like this image, very easy: dont do it. People dont need your approval to do with their faces and bodies what they want and this constant policing of people’s; choices as pertaining to their bodies and faces is going so far. Live and let live, or didnt you learn that lesson from those communist regimes you talk about? I just find it ridiculous that I am making an observation and trying to enter into a dialogue where i say I disagree with you, while you just make it about you, you, you and how you have the right to say what you want, as if anyone said dont blog about it and dont have opinions. As I said, it is pretty presumptuous to assume that women look at the MAC ad and then want to look like that. And even if they did, it is their choice. Get a grip.

• Reply Ada June 22, 2016 at 8:45 am

Pisi, plimbă ursul. Ok? What you said is an idiotic “I’m a perfect person because I never say anything negative because I follow a trend that tells me the world is a pink bubble” crap. And you continue to spit crap on my blog. You don’t like what I say? Fine. PERFECT! Move along. Just like you told me to. And yes, it is about me because you are commenting on my oppinion that I posted on my blog. Duh? Bye, Felicia.

• Reply Christian June 17, 2016 at 10:36 pm

I hear you Ada! I totally agree. Respecting a person’s decisions are one thing- but that doesn’t mean that people aren’t entitled to their own opinion . That’s what democracy is all about.