Barbie Ever After High Fashionistas Mattel dolls Monster High News

Mattel at 2017 Toy Fair – what we know so far

February 18, 2017

I have gathered up a bunch of info from the 2017 Toy Fair in regards to some of Mattel’s brands. Please feel free to add any piece of info you know.

First here’s a video from TimeToPlayMagazine.

In the video we can see a closeup of the new Fashionistas plus an image of the Yves Saint Laurent Barbie that were featured on the Barbie Style Instagram account last year.

I also received this image of the Fashionistas and an IRL image of the gorgeous Gigi Hadid Barbie doll we all wish will go into production.

Barbie will also be getting her own hologram plus a Lego/Duplo kind of new toys. To be perfectly honest, I do not care for either of them.

Gwen Stefani’s New Kuu Kuu Harajuku Fashion doll line has also been displayed and we’ll be getting it this year in stores.

I don’t think this line will last for a long time… I simply don’t see something out of the ordinary with them. They are cute and basic.

Moving on, rumours are that Mattel has dropped Monster High from its core brands status because of very poor sales in the last years. :( We have already learned that Ever After High is being canceled and it looks like Monster High is not far from getting the boot also. :( So sad…

But we’ll be getting a new line called Enchantimals.

I don’t have any images of the Barbie Collector dolls but I can tell you the Look series will feature a curvy doll! YES!!! Can’t wait to see an image of her.

Please share your thoughts with me about these releases.

• Reply Farrah Lily February 18, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Great video! This is the first one from Toy Fair that I’ve seen. I’m excited to see all of the new Fashionistas, of course, as well as the Barbie Collector dolls. I’m sad to hear that MH is not doing well, but I’m not surprised. I think their reboot was a desperate attempt to lure a new age group of kids into the brand, but doesn’t sound like it’s working. In a way, I’m relieved to give myself and excuse to not collect these anymore and move my focus back onto Barbie and other fashion dolls.

• Reply Ella December 1, 2017 at 11:47 pm

They didn’t sell well last year because they changed them….

• Reply Wendy Dirks February 19, 2017 at 2:14 am

That Gigi Hadid Barbie is amazing!

• Reply Gayl Killough February 19, 2017 at 3:37 am

I disagree with the Gwen dolls being too basic, anything similar is not on the market right now. There is always a market for dolls like this. Shopkins is probably the most near to them. I doubt that Gwen will be able to get enough distribution to be successful based on previous attempts, but I hope I am wrong. This is not her first attempt.

It is Mattel’s own fault for screwing up Monster High sales with a too drastic overall. I understand that sales would start to slip after several successful years, but you do minor adjustments and reduce the scale of sales for a more niche product. Instead they seemed to have panicked and cheapen out the line with horrible quality.

Times have changed where kids have more entertainment options to compete with dolls, but it is like people who make these decisions want to rely on what worked in the past, the go big or go home mentality, instead of adjusting with more niche smaller markets. Smh

• Reply Andy October 7, 2017 at 4:02 pm

I agree. The drastic way they changed the brand took away what was unique about it. Mattell dummed it down for a slect few, loud people. Along with style fails, quality turned to cheep molds and sad gimmics. Mattel does this with all their brands. Masters of the Universe from the 80’s to Monster High, they over inflate a fun brand and then water it down, loosing the core fans in the process. Why toss out a winning brand just because a sales dip that was caused by themselves? Oh well, I guess nothing can go on forever unless you are Barbie. Sucky.

• Reply Steven Casey February 19, 2017 at 4:36 am

Looking forward to seeing the Silkies for this year- hoping for a redhead!!! And love the reuse of the Farrah Fawcett sculpt!! SHE is amazing.

• Reply Anna February 19, 2017 at 5:10 pm

Realy curvy Look doll?!! That´s realy realy good news. I am looking forward to see her. Hadid Barbie seems to be interesting, but from that ankle looks a little bit strange for me. I can´t get used to her lip mold. But I believe that she will be great in real.

• Reply Anonym February 19, 2017 at 6:06 pm

I kinda like the Barbie “on the go”, but I am not planning to buy. I also like the Kuu Kuu Harajuku, but otherwise nothing really worth buying from Mattel, as excpected. I am happy to hear about the soon death of Monster High instead of seeing them getting more lame by each day, and I hope that also means they end the connection with Lady Ga Ga political organization which means I would no longer boycott Mattel, excpet for Barbie ’cause Amy Shcumer-_-;. Any news on the She-Ra line?

• Reply Lanita February 19, 2017 at 9:45 pm

I’m so sad about Ever After High. It’s not fair that they have to cancel it and break our hearts to the fans who were with the series from the beginning…

• Reply Anonym February 21, 2017 at 3:07 pm

You shouldn’t be sad, the last dolls sucked anyway. What I’m sad about, is that every year Toy Fair gets smaller and with less companies… I think kids in the future won’t get to imagine and play like we did, they will be stuck in their small screen.

Pinkie Cooper and Cutie Pops were the last good fashion doll competitors to Mattel’s monopoly, now will be stuck with cheap quality dull dolls until they will disappear too.

• Reply Bob the goldfish July 10, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Yeah. Sooooooo sad

• Reply Carrie February 19, 2017 at 11:10 pm

Ok, Mattel confirmed that MH is going in the Toy Box but so is EAH and DC Super Hero Girls. They also confirmed that Monster High isn’t being cancelled, so don’t post stuff that fuels rumors unless you have actual sources to back it up.

• Reply Anonym February 21, 2017 at 3:02 pm

Do you really believe them? Even, if Monster High isn’t cancelled yet, as thing goes the way now it will be. The new dolls are hollow shell of the originals, being cheap, boring and look like any other generic doll line you have seen.

• Reply Darlene D. Troy February 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm

Carrie, she didn’t say Monster High was “cancelled”, she said it was being demoted from “core brand” status, which means thy will still make them, they just won’t put as much money into it and won’t expect to make much. However, presumably that is the first step on the road to cancelling the line altogether.

• Reply Anonym February 21, 2017 at 8:27 pm

So? They will have a few dolls (based on the lousy display in NYTF) to sell before shutting it down all together, it’s pretty much seems to be the case.

• Reply DolliLuv February 20, 2017 at 3:09 pm

OMG I love the Gwen Steffani dolls. They may be basic, but those were the only ones I really got excited for when I read this post. I like a few of the fashionistas, doubt if I will be buying any though.

• Reply Grace February 24, 2017 at 12:17 pm

I hope they fully explore the family line idea in MH before making any major decisions about the future of the line. In my opinion showing more intimate details about the characters will bring them closer to us . That would definitely make us more inclined to buy the dolls and they’ll get the sales boost they need.

• Reply Nathalie Wade July 2, 2017 at 1:12 am

We are in July now.mh.dolls are.still terrible cheap tacky reboot.monstrosities lol they haven’t bothered to make any more.webisodes or films as for eah would have been nice to have ended it with them graduating x those star darlings didnt seem to last long ethier x

• Reply Chris July 15, 2017 at 8:25 pm

I really loved the MH line execpt for this line coming out looking like fairy sprites. I mean after they bastardtized what MH looked like. Changing the way they looked was the worst moved Mattel made with this series and it kind of makes me wonder if the change was done purposely since Mattel was making more money off MH at the time than Barbie. The sales to MH were higher than Barbie hmmmm jealousy from Barbie. Mattel has killed a brand they could have done so much with if they left the looks different alone than change it. Remember Mattel this was your fault and the people threw out the saying from your own brand “Be a Monster. Be Unique”

• Reply Jean August 22, 2017 at 6:54 pm

WHY WHY WHY was EAH canceled and when are fgey AT LEAST going to continue DC super hero girls i’m a huge MH fan but as far as i’m concerned Barbie is Stupid in stereo typical shere as EAH was ALL about finding your destiny despite what everyone thought and MH was about beaing different and loving who you were EAH MH and DCSHG all helped me throught highschool and even now so Mattel better not get rid of them they haven’t even given DCSHG a chance pretty sure ut hasen’t bern a year yet

• Reply Tara November 4, 2017 at 1:35 am

When do the ysl dolls come out?

• Reply Kkay May 28, 2018 at 6:38 pm

I’m so upset that the Monster high brand had been canceled. I wish they would bring it back. I think many people would be happy. When they changed the dolls and started the live action movie I was so saddened by this. I didn’t feel a change was needed but it’s all about money and greed for Mattel. Shame shame!!!!

• Reply Austin Eafford June 19, 2018 at 3:25 am

I like Ever After High more better than Monster High.

• Reply MIKEY July 21, 2018 at 5:51 pm

To all who accuse Mattel wrongly about the cancellation of Monster High and Ever After High, they had to let those series go because they don’t want to waste what’s left of their budget and go out of business so just because companies are big doesn’t mean they have a higher budget. Don’t judge a book by its cover.
    Here are the causes of their cancellations:

1. Not many kids play toys anymore except a low population of them still do. Kids were occupied with technology devices like a tablet, smartphone, computers, video games, etc.

2. Fans were being excessively greedy. When their favorite franchises became popular they eventually grew avaricious for Mattel to continue with the productions and it accelerates Mattel’s spending on their budget. Many fans don’t think nor realize this, yet they blame them for not doing a better job.

3. Mattel franchises(dolls, dvds, series, etc.) SHOULD’VE BEEN INTENDED ONLY FOR THE CHILDREN, NOT FOR ADULTS, but only fair when parents watch the shows with their kids for family time purposes, and buying the toys for them. What kind of adults would purchase dolls for themselves when kids arrived in the toy aisle dejected as they saw empty shelves. Seriously, toy-collecting grown-ups! What were you thinking what you might really do with the dolls than just adding them to your collection?!

4. COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM. They never even ask permission to use their content for endorsing Mattel. Even worse, on YouTube, there are many parody videos, made for entertainment, containing edited content of vulgarity and satiric that disrespects Mattel’s work, their purpose and story plots for every franchises are ruined, and internet pirates had got away with the money. The sad part is, nobody took action to defend Mattel and the franchises.

As I saw fans were crushed in despair for their favorite shows being cancelled that’s what happens as I explained above, for those whom are avaricious, let this be a lesson to them.
    I hate to see fans feeling dejected when witnessing their favorite franchises discontinued. Mattel isn’t the only company whom are experiencing their business issues, other media companies such as Nintendo, WWE, Fujimation, etc. Nintendo’s famous classic games series’ (Star Fox, Metroid, etc) went downhill, in case you didn’t know Nintendo was going to be bankrupt a few years ago but because of the Pokemon game in a new game format(Nintendo 3DS) they manage to survive their business, yet they are having similar issues like Mattel. Companies like them brings great childhood memories for everybody.
    Please it is important to share this message throughout the Internet and you show you care and agree to this message.